Air pollution and climate news
26 November 2014: MRV of CO2 ship emissions – COREPER endorses informal agreement (proposed Regulation)
- Last Updated on Thursday, 27 November 2014 13:58
Member State representatives meeting within the Committee of Permanent Representatives (COREPER) endorsed the informal agreement, concluded on 18 November 2014 between representatives of the European Parliament (EP) and the Council, on the compromise text concerning the proposal for a Regulation on monitoring, reporting and verifying (MRV) CO2 emissions from maritime transport. The approved compromise text now goes to the EP (plenary vote) and the Council for formal adoption before being published in the EU OJ.
See news item dated 18 November 2014, 16 April 2014 and 30 January 2014 in this section and CITEPA's monthly newsletter C'est dans l'Air n° 172 p.3.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 27 November 2014 13:41
The European Parliament, meeting in plenary, adopted a non binding resolution on the EU's position at the 20th Conference of the Parties to the Climate Convention (COP-20) (Lima 1-12 December 2014).
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/fr/news-room/content/20141121IPR79827/html/Climate-change-talks-MEPs-chart-the-course-from-Lima-to-Paris (EP press release)
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-%2f%2fEP%2f%2fTEXT%2bTA%2b20141126%2bTOC%2bDOC%2bXML%2bV0%2f%2fEN&language=EN (the resolution will be available here)
- Last Updated on Thursday, 27 November 2014 13:37
The European Environment Agency (EEA) published an updated assessment of the costs of air pollution from industrial facilities in Europe, covering the period 2008-2012. Using data from the European Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (E-PRTR), the report assesses the damage costs to health and the environment caused by pollutants emitted by industrial facilities.
http://www.eea.europa.eu/media/newsreleases/industrial-air-pollution-has-high (press release)
http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/costs-of-air-pollution-2008-2012 (full report)
- Last Updated on Thursday, 20 November 2014 11:50
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) published the 5th edition of its annual synthesis report on the global emissions gap in 2020 between greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions levels consistent with the 2°C target in 2020 (and thus emission reduction efforts required) and projected emission levels at that time horizon based on current emission reduction pledges for 2020 submitted by all countries (industrialised nations, emerging economies and developing countries).
http://newsroom.unfccc.int/media/153828/unep-press-release-on-2014-emissions-gap-report.pdf (press release)
http://newsroom.unfccc.int/media/153827/executive-summary-of-unep-2014-emissions-gap-report.pdf (full report)
- 19 November 2014: Air quality – overview and analysis of air quality in Europe (2003-2012) (EEA report)
- 18 November 2014: Maritime transport – Informal Council/Parliament agreement on the proposed Regulation on MRV of CO2 emissions
- 15 November 2014: CSR – new directive on company reporting of environmental information
- 17-21 November 2014: Stratospheric ozone – 26th Meeting of the Parties of the Montreal Protocol
- 15-16 November 2014: G20 – climate on the agenda at the G20 leaders' summit
- 12 November 2014: Energy - IEA publishes 2014 World Energy Outlook