- Last Updated on Friday, 17 May 2013 09:02
At the 8th Ministerial Meeting of the Arctic Council in Kiruna (Sweden), Ministers of the eight Arctic States agreed to establish a Task Force to develop arrangements on actions to enhance emission reductions of black carbon and CH4 (short lived climate forcers) in the Arctic. At the end of the meeting, the Kiruna Ministerial Declaration was issued.
See C'est dans l'Air n° 168 p.5 (to be published around 22 May 2013). See also CDL n° 155 p.4.
http://www.arctic-council.org/index.php/en/resources/news-and-press/news-archive/732-press-release-15-may-kiruna (press release)
http://www.arctic-council.org/index.php/en/document-archive/category/425-main-documents-from-kiruna-ministerial-meeting (see declaration p.3)
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 09:57
65th session of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO)'s Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) in London. Issues on the agenda include the MEPC's ongoing work on energy efficiency measures for ships.
See CITEPA's quarterly report Synthèses Document'Air n° 182 p.173.
7 May 2013: CO2 emissions from vans – EP's Environment Committee votes on the proposal for 2020 targets
- Last Updated on Monday, 13 May 2013 16:51
The European Parliament's Environment Committee adopted the report prepared by German MEP Holger Krahmer on the proposal for a regulation to define the ways of reaching the 2020 target to reduce CO2 emissions from new vans.
See CITEPA's quarterly report Synthèses Document'Air n° 183 p.125.
- Last Updated on Monday, 13 May 2013 16:49
Nine EU Environment, Energy and/or Climate Ministers issued a statement following a meeting in London convened on the initiative of the UK Government. The Ministers of the nine Member States (UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Finland, Slovenia) called on the EU Council and the European Parliament to reach an agreement, by July 2013 at the latest, on the "backloading" proposal under the EU Emissions Trading Scheme.
See news item dated 16 April 2013 in this section. See also C'est dans l'Air n° 168 p.1 (to be published by end of May 2013).
- 5-7 May 2013: Climate – 4th meeting of the Petersberg Climate Dialogue
- 3 May 2013: ETS – new regulation updating the EU register for the 3rd trading period
- 1 May 2013: UK – Supreme Court ruling on non compliance with the EU Air Quality Directive
- 30 April 2013: Air quality – Interministerial Committee meeting to discuss new draft regulations
- 30 April 2013: CO2 emissions from new cars – preliminary 2012 data released
- 29 April 2013: Environmental taxation – Eurostat publishes 2013 edition of the report Taxation trends in the EU with data on green taxes