Air pollution and climate news
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 January 2015 17:05
The EU Council approved the decision ratifying the Doha Amendment to the Kyoto Protocol, establishing the 2nd commitment period (2013-2020). The Council also requested the European Parliament to give its approval in order for the decision to be formally adopted.
See news item dated 17 December 2014 in this section.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 January 2015 13:32
During an official visit to India, the US President Barack Obama met the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Subjects they discussed included climate change and specifically the problem of HFCs. The two leaders stressed the importance of working together and with other countries to conclude an ambitious climate agreement in Paris in 2015. To this end, they plan to cooperate closely over the next year to achieve a successful agreement in Paris. The President and Prime Minister agreed to cooperate on making concrete progress in the phase down of HFCs under the Montreal Protocol this year.
http://mea.gov.in/bilateral-documents.htm?dtl/24726/Joint_Statement_during_the_visit_of_President_of_USA_to_India_Shared_Effort_Progress_for_All (see paragraph 45).
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 January 2015 13:30
The Climate Convention (UNFCCC) Secretariat opened an electronic portal to allow Parties to submit their Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) as required under Decision 1/CP.19 (adopted at COP-19 in Warsaw) and Decision 1/CP.20 (adopted at COP-20 in Lima, Peru). Parties are required to submit their INDCs "well in advance" of COP-21 in Paris and before 31 March 2015 for those "ready to do so" in a manner that facilitates the clarity, transparency and understanding of the INDCs.
See CITEPA's monthly newsletter C'est dans l'air n° 174 p.2 et n° 186 p.2.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 January 2015 13:28
At the World Economic Forum in Davos (Switzerland), the climate issue had a prominent place on the agenda. In particular, a session was organised on the theme "Closing the Climate Deal - How can a comprehensive global climate deal be achieved in 2015?". In addition, a session took place on the issue "How are business and policy entrepreneurs reshaping the fight against climate change?", focusing on climate technologies, carbon pricing and economic incentives.
http://www3.weforum.org/docs/AM15/WEF_AM15_Programme_A3526EC2F4.pdf (see pp.43 and 54).
- 19 January 2015: COP-21 website launched
- 14 January 2015: CH4 emissions from oil and gas sector - Obama Administration announces reduction target and set of actions
- 9 January 2015: Interactions between ozone depletion and climate change
- 6 January 2015: PM10 –results of a study on short-term impacts on mortality
- 6 January 2015: Kyoto Protocol – France passes Act to ratify the Doha Amendment (2nd period)
- 19 December 2014: EU-ETS – consultation on revision of the Emissions Trading Directive