Air pollution and climate news
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 September 2014 16:07
The EU Council formally adopted a proposal for a Directive aimed at building up refuelling points for alternative fuels (electricity, liquid natural gas, compressed natural gas, hydrogen) in the EU, with common standards for their design and use, including a common plug for recharging electric vehicles. The legislative proposal stems from the alternative fuel strategy published by the European Commission on 24 January 2013.
29 September 2014: Fluorinated gases – 2014 annual report on EU production, import and export data (EEA)
- Last Updated on Monday, 29 September 2014 16:47
The European Environment Agency (EEA) published its 2014 annual report presenting aggregated data for 2013 reported by companies on the production, import and export of fluorinated greenhouse gases in the EU (under Regulation (EC) n° 842/2006 (article 6). The report contains information on the quantities of HFCs, PFCs and SF6 manufactured, exported, imported, and on the uses planned for them.
http://www.eea.europa.eu/highlights/climate-forcing-f-gases-2013 (press release)
http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/f-gases-2013 (full report)
- Last Updated on Monday, 29 September 2014 16:45
The European Commission presented a proposal for a Regulation setting more stringent emission limit values for engines installed in non-road mobile machinery (NRMM). It also aims to simplify the existing complex EU legal framework for the sector, ie Directive 97/68/EC comprising 15 annexes and amended eight times since it was adopted in 1997.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-1044_en.htm (press release)
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/mechanical/files/nrmm/com-2014-581_en.pdf (full proposal)
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 September 2014 14:14
The World Leaders' Climate Summit in New York, convened by the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon. The aim of the Summit, proposed by Ban Ki-moon at the 18th Conference of the Parties (COP-18) to the Climate Convention (December 2012), is to catalyse and galvanise climate action worldwide. In particular, the Summit aims to mobilise political will at the highest level in advance of the COP-21 (Paris, December 2015) where a new global legally binding climate agreement is to be concluded, establishing the post-2020 regime and applicable to all Parties. In total, more than 120 Heads of State or Government made formal statements.
http://www.un.org/climatechange/summit/list-speakers/ (list of speakers)
http://newsroom.unfccc.int/unfccc-newsroom/un-climate-summit-ban-ki-moon-final-summary/ (Ban Ki-moon's summary of the discussions)
- 16 September 2014: Stratospheric ozone – annual EEA report on ODS production and consumption in the EU
- 11 September 2014: UK – comparison of air quality in London with several other European and international cities (Greater London Authority report)
- 10 Septembre 2014: New Commission – the new Commissioners designate announced
- 9 Septembre 2014 : Straospheric ozone – 2014 update of scientific assessment of ozone depletion
- 9 Septembre 2014: GHG concentrations in the atmosphere – WMO publishes latest data (2013)
- 9 Septembre 2014: Climate – UK Government sets out its view and expectations for the COP-21 (Paris, 2015)