Air pollution and climate news
CITEPA wishes you a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS and we look forward to bringing the news to you in the New Year on air, climate and energy issues. Next update on 7 January 2015.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 18 December 2014 13:37
- Last Updated on Thursday, 18 December 2014 12:25
At the EU Environment Council, Environment Ministers from the 28 Member States discussed several issues in the air/climate field:
- proposal for a Regulation on monitoring, reporting and verifying (MRV) CO2 emissions from maritime transport. As a result of opposition from certain Member States, the Environment Council was not able to adopt a common position on the text despite the fact that on 26 November 2014, the Permanent Representatives Committee endorsed the informal agreement on the compromise text. The Italian Presidency has thus sent the file back for a 2nd reading,
- ratification of the Doha Amendment (2nd commitment period 2013-2020) under the Kyoto Protocol: the Environment Council confirmed its political agreement for a decision ratifying the Amendment,
- proposal for a Directive on reducing emissions of certain air pollutants from medium-sized combustion plants: the Environment Council reached a "general approach" on this proposal, presented on 18 December 2013 as part of the Clean Air package.
See news item dated 26 November 2014 in this section.
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/envir/146360.pdf (press release)
http://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-16817-2014-INIT/en/pdf (compromise text on the draft medium-sized combustion plant Directive)
http://register.consilium.europa.eu/doc/srv?l=EN&f=ST%2016238%202014%20INIT (compromise text on the draft MRV Regulation for CO2 emissions from ships)
- Last Updated on Monday, 15 December 2014 15:52
The 20th Conference of the Parties to the Climate Convention (COP-20) completed its work and closed early Sunday morning, more than 33 hours after the negotiations were due to officially close. A total of 32 decisions were adopted: 24 under the COP-20 and 8 under the 10th Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP-10).
The key results obtained are in the 4-page COP Decision known as the Lima Call for Climate Action ((http://unfccc.int/files/meetings/lima_dec_2014/application/pdf/auv_cop20_lima_call_for_climate_action.pdf) which defines inter alia the information to be included – albeit on an optional and not mandatory basis - by Parties when they submit their national contributions (INDCs). This decision, which is a result of the work conducted by the ADP Working Group in Lima, also contains a 38-page annex setting out the latest version of the "Elements for a draft negotiating text", as agreed by the ADP in Lima.
http://unfccc.int/2860.php (all the decisions adopted)
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-2632_en.htm (DG Climate/European Commission's preliminary reaction)
http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2014/12/briefing-lima-call-for-climate-action-lays-out-policy-options-for-new-global-deal/ (analysis by The Carbon Brief)
- Last Updated on Friday, 12 December 2014 14:14
The Lima Climate Action High-Level Meeting took place. Speakers included UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, IPCC Chair Rajendra Pachauri, Laurent Fabius, French Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ban Ki-moon's Special Envoy for Climate Change, Mary Robinson and former US President Al Gore.
Selection of articles published in the international press:
- negotiation updates (page on the UNFCCC site) http://unfccc.int/meetings/lima_dec_2014/items/8714.php
- daily bulletin published by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) presenting the highlights from 10 December http://www.iisd.ca/download/pdf/enb12618e.pdf
- "Kerry: every nation must act to tackle climate change", RTCC 11/12/2014 http://www.rtcc.org/2014/12/11/kerry-every-nation-must-act-to-tackle-climate-change/
- "Lima climate talks agree on just one paragraph of deal with 24 hours left" The Guardian 11/12/2014 http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/dec/11/lima-climate-talks-fail-agreement-single-paragraph-deal
- 10 December 2014: COP-20 – the negotiations enter the final stages
- 9 December 2014: COP-20 – progress on the negotiations and international press review
- 8 December 2014: COP-20 – new negotiating text tabled
- 9 December 2014: COP-20 – latest news from Lima
- 8 December 2014: Transport – the EEA publishes its annual report under the TERM reporting mechanism
- 3 December 2014: Climate - WMO's annual statement on the state of the global climate in 2014
- 2 December 2014: COP-20 – highlights from Lima
- 1 December 2014: Climate – start of the 20th Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC (in Lima, Peru)